Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Guided in the dark

"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil or harm."

Night comes and fear is the natural reaction. We can't see quite right. We don't know what's around us. Little noises and movements play tricks upon our minds.
Every day the boys repeat Psalm 23. Every day. Recently I'd asked the boys to each do a devotional on a rotation system (so they'd each go once evry two weeks) but it meant actually asking questions and investing some time in whatever passage they wanted.
And one of them chose Psalm 23.
I'm a big fan of this psalm - it is a reflection of a weary man whose life is surrounded by challenges in a scary, difficult place.
Eventually the conversation got good and the questions were intriguing. But then it stopped. A moment later they asked what I was thinking about.
I had them shut off the lights and close their eyes.
My flashlight became my rod & my staff. I prodded them gently forward, or to the right or to the left.
If Jesus is my shepherd, then my comfort is found in the fact that this lamb I am is guided through the dark, away from edges to fall off of or rivers to drown in, protected from the wolves and thieves that would seek to do me harm.
Such love & sacrificial, parental-type care is why this psalm means so much to me. It describes a God who will lead me to good even though life is full of danger that I may experience by my surroundings, but can be led through safely. If I just listen.
I pray we listen.

-----
Psalm 23

A psalm of David.

 1 The Lord is my shepherd;
      I have all that I need.
 2 He lets me rest in green meadows;
      he leads me beside peaceful streams.
    3 He renews my strength.
   He guides me along right paths,
      bringing honor to his name.
 4 Even when I walk
      through the darkest valley of death,
   I will not be afraid,
      for you are close beside me.
   Your rod and your staff
      protect and comfort me.
 5 You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies.
   You honor me by anointing my head with oil. My cup overflows with blessings.
 6 Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the Lord forever.
+509(3)895-3360 http://haitisand.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. Just remember to be patient with yourself and others. "Long-suffering"

    When you're tired your mind can play tricks on you. I think at night, when you're alone with your thoughts you can be left to think of lonliness and/or troubles. Every emotion/feeling passes with time. Don't get down on yourself and stay strong!

    ReplyDelete