Friday, September 24, 2010

Rules or relationship?

Just yesterday I was asked (again) what my religion was, and I started to describe it except then I finished it with "yes people would call me a christian but here's what I say." Thus begun a description how religion is about rules, while relationship with god - like a marriage or real friendship - is about knowing and loving someone, and how that is SO much harder than following the rules.
Rules are easy: follow them or get in trouble. Relationships take time, effort, learning, listening, sharing, doing things together, making mistakes and repairing them while learning what the mistake was and adjusting to not make the same mistake again b/c it's the right thing to do but because you want to do it to love the other person better.
One of my best friends? We're not even that compatible. He & I are similar and very different. But we lived together for 3 years, ministered in the inner city together, prayed & played basketball and served together and each other. When we moved out, we acknowledged all this. We may never be the closest of buddies, but we will always and forever know we can count on and trust each other with love & support in even the toughest of times. THAT is relationship. He is like a brother to me through and through.
Real relationship is worth it. Especially relationship with God.
I think sometimes people are afraid of it b/c it's hard & risky and exposes oneself to hurt. Maybe that's why they oppose so quickly. Which is sad, because Jesus exposed himself to being hurt via fist, whip, cross & death.
Rules keep us in line. Relationships go far outside and beyond if we let them. I know which I prefer.
+509(3)895-3360 http://haitisand.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment