Friday, October 1, 2010

A Haitian's "Best Friend"

My buddy Nick got in a conversation with one of the Haitians we've spent some time with here, and someone asked if they were best friends. Many times here I've met someone and they immediately refer to me as their best friend.
I have best friends (shout out to kevin, mark, david, aaron, patrick, jessica, and more) and these newbie locals don't qualify yet. Nick asked a question that hadn't occurred to me though. I'm glad he did.
"What does 'best friend' mean to you?"
It turns out a "Best Friend" is someone who they can come to and share dreams, passions concerns, ask questions, get advice, etc.
So all this time I thought it was awkward that people kept referring to me as their best friend, when actually it was them asking if I'd mentor them.
So now I hope I get to be everyone's best friend here. :)
Haiti direct: (+50938953360), BBM: 24B46DD9

No comments:

Post a Comment